Hey there! So its my Birthday today and I am feeling Blessed and oh so Grateful for...just LIFE!!!!!!! To commemorate the event i decided to do one of those 20 Facts about me tags but with my own little spin on it. I love reading these because i get to see if the general perception i have of a person is accurate compared to traits in the trivia they share. Fun! I enjoy sharing my stories but often feel like they are such heavy topics. I thought doing a post like this could be a lighthearted way to share some unique and interesting things about me that i don't mind talking and laughing about. Its a side to me i don't often show. Leggo!
● First off, I don't like the name Keisha. Idk, i just don't feel like a "Keisha". Sometimes when a person calls my name to get my attention there's a delayed response. Like huh? You talking to me? I've always felt like this, but it wasn't until today that i finally figured out how to articulate why i dislike my name. I was on instagram a couple days ago and saw a post saying " The Mayor or ATL name is Keisha y'all!" and it hit me. Having a name like that precedes you, and often gives off the impression that someone named Keisha is not expected to make it to high places. It's usually decided at birth to give a child a name that will help him/her get a good job. On the contrary, Keisha is the name used for ratchet characters referenced in every song you can think of 🙄
● I was in a Jenny Craig commercial with Mariah Carey. Thee single worst experience of my life 😩. It took me two years to be able to tell this story without tears and snot bubbles. Let me know if you'd like to hear the details of this story. Of course there was a grand lesson i learned from the experience that has proved to be invaluable.
● In Junior Highschool i painted my nails every day. I would choose colors to match my clothes, and do simple and geometric designs using whatever tool i would find around the house ( toothpick to make polka dots, cotton swaps to give a cloudy overlay effect to the polish). I now know that it was my Anxiety about fitting into my new school ( I was new to the country) that gave me Insomnia. So to pass the time i would paint my long natural nails with intricate freestyle designs on both hands to coordinate with my outfits. I got so good people thought they were stencils done by a professional. So now you know the origin of #hicopaintjob. Which brings me to the next fact
● A rollerblading accident left me ambidextrous. I was probably about 10 years old when i tried rollerblading for the first time. It took all of 5 seconds to bust my ass on the freshly waxed laundry room floor of my grandmother's building. I broke my right wrist. I wore the cast for what felt like forever (was actually about three to four weeks) while on vacation in New York, but couldn't bear the itching once i returned to the tropical weather in Belize. While my mom was busy in her Shop doing a client's hair i snuck away with a bucket to go fill it with water. I soaked the cast to soften up the mold then proceeded to beat my arm against the concrete wall to deepen the cracks till i was able to rip it apart and pull my arm out. Needless to say my wrist wasn't completely healed and my right arm hurt so badly when i tried to use it. To avoid getting into trouble i hid the pain from my parents and caretakers and taught myself to write with my left hand instead. It had to be neat and undetectable cause my godmother didn't play when it came to proper homework.
● My favorite color is Chartreuse. I fell in love with the vibrant color and became obsessed with it once i realized how the color commands your attention. When you see it you're left trying to decide if its more green than yellow or if its a dull neon shade. Upon first time hearing the name, a request to repeat the pronunciation almost always follows 😄 and if the spelling wasn't provided above you'd have a hard time asking google. This color is me in a nutshell! Not to mention whenever i recognize the color anywhere a flood of endorphins rush my system and perks up my mood immediately🤗
● Growing up my mother allowed us to have any pet we asked for. At different times we had rabbits, a duck who acted as a guard dog and wouldn't let strangers enter our yard ( often times even me), a parrot who only spoke to us in spanish, several dogs, and even a crocodile tied up in the back yard. I don't remember how she acquired a crocodile but i remember her threatening to get one to scare my little brother. He was a terror growing up and nothing scared him. The strategy backfired on her and having a croc only made us cooler in our friends ' eyes. I took no parts in caring for any of these animals since i was terrified of all of them and only visited on the weekends.
● I don't like Bananas. Well not so much that i dislike them, more so i avoid them. They taste good but the texture is a trigger for me. I was only given healthy snacks as a kid. Always a banana or raisins 🙄. I grew bored of eating bananas so i would leave them in my backpack till i was able to throw them away on my way home. One time i forgot to throw it out. After a week of being squished in my backpack it quickly got brown and moldy and disgusting. For years i would gag at the site of a banana, the trauma is still vivid in my memory. 🤢🤮
● I don't have any tattoos, but I've always had piercings. First piercing was my tongue ring my freshman year of high school. I did it without my mom's knowledge and it was quite out of character for someone like me that was very conservative. Once my mom found out it wasn't a big deal. I had it for two years though, and no one outside my household knew i had it unless i told them. Not even my little boyfriend at the time 🌾 👀🌾
● I went to 4 different high schools in 3 different boroughs before i graduated. Twas a struggle...( read Social Anxiety overload) but i was determined to finish and get my diploma. By my junior year of high school i had like 9 credits. The high school i attended last was an alternative one that held classes at night and didn't offer electives. I was able to double up on classes and go to summer school, do extra credit term papers to make up my 40 credits? i needed to graduate. When i completed my requirements i was so done with school i didn't attend graduation and didn't pick up my diplomat till like 5 years after. School is super triggering for me 🤪
● I was the runner up in a beauty pageant. I was in Infant 2 in Belize, which i guess is like kindergarten or 1st grade here in the states, when i decided i wanted to participate in my school pageant. When i initially asked my godmother Genny for permission, she agreed. However the date of the pageant conflicted with an upcoming trip to the states she was taking. I exploited her original approval and got my aunt to sign off on my permission slip when Genny, my godmother, was out of the country. I lied to my mom, dad, and teachers to keep my cover. My mom was a beautician so i got her to do my hairstyle in shirley temple curls for the pageant without any question. The dresses i used for the different segments were all custom made and extravagant, curtesy of my mother for easter and birthdays. Only thing missing was my talent segment. I wanted to sing, but i also wanted to win; so i opted to dance punta as my talent instead. The contestant before me danced punta as well, but i got so energized by the applause she received i went up after her and killed 👏🏾that👏🏾 stage👏🏾! I danced till my sides ached and did an encore. My lies got found out and i had to leave before i was given my sash. But it still counts in my book.
Lordt was i a sneaky child 😇. My mom called me earlier today to wish me a happy birthday. To verify some of these stories i asked her if she remembered some of events. She did not and thought i was telling Anancy Stories . Those of you of carribbean decent knows that those are folklore stories and she thought i was making these up. I have quite a few more but i decided to put the rest in a video. Let me know if these stories support any assumptions you've made about me. Be sure to subscribe to my youtube channel here if you aren't already and hit the bell so you're notified when i upload the rest of these insane facts about me! hahahaha
Thanks for spending a little time with me on my birthday. I appreciate you